PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

rqayyum

Re: Re: Nocebo

From Wikipedia............

In its original application, "nocebo" had a very specific meaning in the medical domains of pharmacology, nosology, and etiology.

It was a subject-oriented adjective that was used to label the harmful, unpleasant, or undesirable reactions (or responses) that a subject manifested (thus, "nocebo reactions" or "nocebo responses" ) as a result of administering an inert dummy drug or placebo, where these responses had not been chemically generated, and were entirely due to the subject's pessimistic belief and expectation that the inert drug would produce harmful, injurious, unpleasant, or undesirable consequences.

In these cases, there is no "real" drug involved, but the actual harmful, unpleasant or undesirable physiological, behavioural, emotional, and/or cognitive consequences of the administration of the inert drug are very real.

aftabac

Re: Nocebo

It was in Medical Literature along with Placebo trial they also used this word. I didn't hear it before so i put a question here.

rqayyum

Re: Nocebo

Please pardon my ignorance, where have you read it .. context please!

aftabac

Nocebo

Salam

What is Nocebo