PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

rqayyum

Re: question?

It is very important that one develops an interest in a narrow field and read all the latest literature on it. Only then one will know what is known, what is unknown, and what is considered known but has not been evaluated scientifically. Textbooks give good basic knowledge but usually lag behind many years and don't discuss the strength of evidence. For example, textbooks taught me that beta-blockers were contraindicated in CHF without mentioning that the effect of beta-blockers on a failing heart had not been studied. Or now-a-days TZDs (Rosiglitazone and Pioglitazone) are contraindicated in CHF, but the evidence is only anecdotal and it is quite possible that in next few years TZDs may be considered beneficial in CHF, although you may not find this in current textbooks.

Thus, formulating a research question is the first step in designing any research project. But before that, develop a special interest in one narrow field and read thoroughly about it.

doc11

You know i really get fascinated with the ideas of projects and researches but I never got someonewho would define what a project or research would really be in the medical field
how would i find a mentor in this condition??!!!?!?!

rqayyum

I appreciate your strong desire to get involved in research. I wish I could give you a simple answer. I have been out of Pakistan for many years and don't know who is now actively involved in research.

However, let me tell you few things. A research project can be divided in to four stages. Study design, intervention and data collection, (statistical) analysis of the data, and manuscript writing. Quite often, when you tell someone that you want to do some research, they will ask you to help them in data collection. You will find yourself that data collection does not need more than clerical skills. You will learn nothing except the feeling that reasearch is a hard and boring job. Ultimately you will have to collect data, but in order to enjoy it, try to get involved in other stages of the research as well.

What can I suggest for you? Find your field of interest and find a mentor. Formulate a study question and ask mentor to help you in designing that study. You don't need a fancy study. An observational study will be fine. The rule is; simpler the better. And start working.

qaiser165

question?

hi.
question is which institutes or hospitals or labs are doing researches and how a medical student cud join in their projects . is there student friendly policy anywhere?i mean where u can go and ask that im a student i want to participate in research under gud professional hands..and ull b welcomed.. is there any institute like taht exists?