PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

rqayyum

Re: Re: sample size calculation

You need to provide more information how you would evaluate your outcome. Are you planning to define it as a dichotomous variable, that is proportion of patients who bled after septoplasty in nasal packing group versus no nasal packing group. In that case you will need to know the difference in proportions of bleeding in the two groups. If you don't know this proportion, you need to define what is the lowest clinically significant difference in proportions that you would like to detect. Once you have that, it should be easy to use any of the many online sample size calculators. My favourite is PS from Vanderbilt university available at this link:
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/PowerSampleSize

docosama

Re: sample size calculation

What is the study design of your study? You need a biostatician help here. Before going to him collect information regarding the "prevelance of bleeding in septoplasty with nasal packing and without nasal packing" from the literature. There are formulas which can calculate the sample size. Why dont you ask CPSP Epidemiology people to help you.

ziarizvi

Re: sample size calculation

would someone please help?

ziarizvi

sample size calculation

i need to calculate the sample size for my study,need some articles regarding comparison of bleeding in septoplasty when two groups are compared ,one with nasal packing and other without nasal packing after surgery.
would anyone please help.
Thank you.