PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

hania

Re: Re: 55,000 Sex workers in Lahore

i do appreciate your comments against the people who involve in nasty activity

[Edited by drrathore on 09-05-2012 at 05:32 PM GMT]

Hyder

Re: 55,000 Sex workers in Lahore

Want to politicize it? here ya go!
These studies are usually not biased. Its easy to come up with sweeping statements claiming that all agencies are against pakistan and that they merely want to tarnish the image but why would they want to dear? As far as the US medical system is concerned, allow me to correct you, you might work there and know the situation better on microlevel but we work at macrolevel in healthcare and management. You can not make sweeping statements about the US or pakistani medical system that all are incompetenet etc etc. Read up the studies on consumer satisfaction. The basic fact that people choose to forget is that medicine is not an exact, precise science, it works on hit and trial, from the top to the bottom its a huge maze of guess work (those who criticize it do it mainly cuz medical practice is very lucrative in the US and if they accept that they are practicing institutional quackery, who'd come to them?) Its an even changing field and consumerism is routing medical practice as well. Now people demand precise, immediate solution, both in Pakistan and esp in the US. Thats why you are calling doctors incompetent, its not because the doctors have become any worse, its just that patients have become much more demanding. And yes I know how the VA runs its affairs and the patients complaints etc, thats another story altogether if u r talking abt those practices. As far as studies on indications are concerned, thats very very relative. Thats why randomized controlled trials are performed on every aspect of treatment, to find out the best treatment for the right patient. If surgery is that useless that 80% operations are done without a point then maybe we can try shamans and peer faqirs. While we are at refuting facts with personal observations.
Back to the UNICEF studies. Whoever is paranoid about what goras try and do for you, well here's an example, there were only 4 countries, Pakistan, few cities of India, Nigeria and one other I dnt recall, who said polio vaccines cause impotence. Why on earth would they want to make your kids impotent/sterile and not saudi/yamani/irani/iraqi/blah blahistan kids? Why why? Why is the whole world against you? Why are the jews doing sazish against only pakistan? Why not india? paranoia has its limits. We work on funded projects and we know what we face. I have littledoubt about the findings of the report, not because the consultants are hired at $400/day but because the only benefit that would come from this would be to the children of Lahore. They are trying to help you mainly cuz many of us decided to leave this country and its problems alone, leave the kids in the villages alone, to die of cholera when 10 tabs of ciprofloxacin would have save that child had the doctor been there and not in the US or canada. Thats what we need to change, the attitudes, so that no parents would be that poor and that unhealthy and that majboor to send their children to brothels. We don;t need the 'duh thats said by the enemy' Fine, accept ist true, work very very hard to correct it, maybe if it isnt you';ll know and will have a better system, capable of serving much more people than there presently are.

[Edited by Hyder on 15-06-2008 at 07:14 PM GMT]

drfarhan

Re: 55,000 Sex workers in Lahore

I think we need to be continuously aware of what is or what can go wrong in the society we live in even if this is being pointed at by some ppl who may not have good intentions about us. And this is fact that at many fronts including moral ones, we have rapidly deteriorated in past 20 years or so. Reasons may be manyfold.
I think this report has some grains of truth in it even if not taken as whole truth.
Prostitution for variety of reasons is rampant globally whether due to abject poverty, illiteracy, ignorance. , alienation from basic tenets of religion. It has also acquired a shape of global trade, a business in its own right and from our point of view an organised crime. And children are not the only object although for obvious reasons are focused and lamented about more then anybody else.
This report is from platform of very prestigious and other wise very reliable institution. I see little reason that why should i deny it outright just because it s against me or my society specially when every thing we read and practise and later claim to be master of and squeeze glory from , also comes from the same quarters and also specially when we don't have our own parallel data or institutional research to challenge this report. Scientific claims can be refuted but only scinetifically not emotionally but perhaps we find our selves comfortable at later front.
while morally our whole system is fraying at edges and this is becoming more then visible as every day wears on and we ,in every department of life , are personally experiencing this rapid loss of our identity which once we used to cherish with great pride, i think we should not be hesitant in accepting reports about changing facade of our national and collective character. This is not to deny that good element don't breath any more in these environs but first step towards effective remedy would be to accept that we may be needing it, if not now then somewhere in very near future. Sweeping it under the carpet may not help us for long.

[Edited by drfarhan on 09-06-2008 at 04:32 PM GMT]

samreenqmc

Re: Re: Re: 55,000 Sex workers in Lahore

you are right sir.

mirzaqayyu

Re: Re: 55,000 Sex workers in Lahore

i live in lahore. in mu oppinian this report is not true. allthough there are may sex workar but this huge number,s are not true. hoever male sex workar except like hijra or khosra there are onle few person as sex workar. however many pesrson involve in male sex for fun but not for money. however i donot aggre with this report