PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

Abbottayub

Re: FCPS & Phd Degree are overlapping In Pakistan

FCPS in basic sciences started when the CPSP was almost on the forefront of medical education. We must accept that very less progress is seen in the basic sciences research and education and there are quite a few M. Phils and PhDs in the basic sciences. The PhDs in basic sciences can be counted on finger tips and those also are not available at home.
In this situation, and when there was high time of hold of CPSP in the PMDC and other Institutes, there has been a rapid inflow of people to CPSP when there were very few opportunities elsewhere.
I have my own reservations about the FCPS in basic sciences. We the basic medical scientists are neither Physicians nor are we Surgeons. In fact we are more of a teacher than a clinician. Why not there be a College of Basic Medical Sciences Pakistan(CBMSP) to award fellowship to basic medical scientists?
Regarding overlapping of FCPS and PhD, I can only see that PhD is a higher degree awarded by a University and FCPS is merely a fellowship awarded by a College.
On the contrary, and unfortunately, our Universities are NOT serious in imparting PG research and education. The pre-requisits for enrolement are such that not an average student/researcher can get aboard. The HEC should review its policies of 'Repelling' future students.

medcruiser

FCPS & Phd Degree are overlapping In Pakistan

i have one question , why FCPS & Phd degree are overlapping in Pakistan in basic sciences.why cant they make a decision that in basic sciences there should be only Phd degree.Can anybody tell me what is the case in UK, are they also award FRCS or FRCP degrees in basic sciences.PlZ comment on this