PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

icumicuccu

Re: HCV Vertical Transmission ?

Perinatal transmission of HCV occurs at the time of birth in about 5% of infants born to anti hcv positive women. the risk of infection is approximately two fold higher in women coinfected with HIV. the risk of transmission is like HIV inpart related to degree of viremia at birth.
Treatment of pregnant women or unusual precautions to reduce the risk of transmission is not recommended at this time. The american academy of pediatrics recommend screening all infants born to mother with HCV. There is no evidence that breast feeding is a risk factor.

THESE ARE THE RELEVANT ARTICLES;

'' A review of HCV vertical transmission'' PUBLISHED IN Int j of epidimiology, FEB; 27(1) PAGE 108.

Another article is
''Mother to infant transmission of HCV'' published in HEPATOLOGY 2001; 34; PAGE 223.

I hope this will help you.

drkhawaja

Dear docosama,
Thanks for your kind reply.This is s a nice article about some locally done work from PAKISTAN. I am very pleased to know the good work. However the article is about HBV. I will very much appreciate if you have any referrence for HCV.
Thanks again for your kind reply. Keep up the excellent job you are doing.

docosama

Please refer to article:

http://www.pakmedinet.com/view.php?id=4777

drkhawaja

HCV Vertical Transmission ?

Salam to everybody,
Any data on vertical transmission of HCV , risk factors, prevention ,followup &/or treatment of the pregnant mother/newborn ?
Is routine screening for HCV recommended for all pregnant ladies or selected groups.
Best regards.

[Edited by drkhawaja on 06-05-2004 at 07:16 PM GMT]