PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

dr.anwar81

Re: palliative care, Third world and Pakistan

Assalamoalikum.
yes you are right that there is no organization or society for palliative care in Pakistan but being as a postgraduate trainee in the past in shifa international hospital we have efficiently carried out this task.our Residents are trained in a way what kind of care has to be given to particular patients and whats are the limit of care and what kind of care has to be given to each individual patient.this is because we have multidisciplinary approach for such patients .for example we have oncologist,physicians,pain management team and trained nurses to performed these tasks.we need to start palliative care specialty as soon as possible in our country and I request CPSP that they should start it without delay.Thanks Dr Anwar Ali Registrar Medicine Shifa college of medicine

nasuli

Re: First Palliative physcian in Pakistan

Dr Riaz, its nice to hear that you are part of the hospice care movement in Paksitan. i am a nurse from Aga Khan University and currently serving in a faculty position. i am very passionate to work in this area of palliative care and currently chosen this as my special area of interest for my PHD studies at University of Alberta, Canada. it would be of great assistnace if you can let me know the current activities or progress in this area in Pakistan and how my dissertation can support or bring about change in this neglected area of care in Pakstian.

Looking forward to your reply. my email adress is nasreen.sulaiman@aku.edu

nasuli

Re: Re: palliative care, Third world and Pakistan

you have very rightly ponited out that we are much better in palliative care as we have the support of the families, however, family also needs support and services to get a relief from thier own psychosocial distress and other comforts. nowadays the family dynamics are changing and we need to look at new innovative ways to deal with such problems. moreo and more families are working and dynmaics previously prevailing is not the same now.

Dr Riazr

First Palliative physcian in Pakistan

I worked as a palliative physcian in the queen elizabeth Hospital in malaysia and was trainned at the Daw house hospice at Flinders University South Australia.
I worked along with Dr Ranjit Mathew Oomens to set up th e first Palliative care unit in the govt sector in malaysia.
I am now involved with the Palliative care hospice movement in pakistan and have been Helping Prof Agha Shabbir as a facilitator in trainning workshops in Palliative care.

iqbalmd

Re: Re: palliative care, Third world and Pakistan

I am sure many doctors will welcome your effort, i believe best target is medical students.I have personal experience of working with young doctors, they are very receptive and practical.
Good luck