PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

chameed

Re: echovist

quote:
raufunnisa wrote:
i never heard of hydrosonography leading to acute pelvic inflammtory disese but in last two months i came across two such cases.both had secondary subfertility of >5years and asymptomatic.the tubal patency was checkd by echovist in a diagnostic centre of high repute. one patient was saved by quinolone antibiotic after the diagnosis of PID but the second one needed involvement of general surgeon in a level 3 hospital ,laparotomy and drainage of pus from peritoneal cavity and died on third postop day due to septicaemia.
should we give prophylactic antibiotics before hydrosonography? OR send HVS for C/S before it ?

I have two comments on this:

1. Any one who is not capable of dealing with the complications of a procedure, should either not perform that procedure or should obtain adequate consultation before performing such procedure.

2. Yes any invasive procedure that requires manipulation of utrine cavity and instillation of fluids from below, has the potential to cause tubo-ovarian/peritoneal infection, so yes to prophylactic antibiotics.

raufunnisa

echovist

i never heard of hydrosonography leading to acute pelvic inflammtory disese but in last two months i came across two such cases.both had secondary subfertility of >5years and asymptomatic.the tubal patency was checkd by echovist in a diagnostic centre of high repute. one patient was saved by quinolone antibiotic after the diagnosis of PID but the second one needed involvement of general surgeon in a level 3 hospital ,laparotomy and drainage of pus from peritoneal cavity and died on third postop day due to septicaemia.
should we give prophylactic antibiotics before hydrosonography? OR send HVS for C/S before it ?