PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

icon young pt. with chest pain.

icon Re: young pt. with chest pain.

icon Re: young pt. with chest pain.

icon Re: Re: young pt. with chest pain.

quote:
docosama wrote:
The case history is interesting. What about the possibility of Myocarditis?

Experts should reply.

Well,Myocarditis has been the consideration.But his pulse was 64/min,throughout this period,and there has been no electrocardiographic change.As for I know,one of the clue towards myocarditis is disproportionate tachycardia.His pain settled within one hour of addmission and his enzymes were progressively raised till day seven.

icon Re: Re: young pt. with chest pain.

quote:
chameed wrote:
Interesting but not unusual, several young marathon runners of both sexes have been reported to have chest pain with elevated cardiac enzymes and no other detectable abnormality (and I emphasize 'detectable').
Currently, I have three young female patients who are long distance runners and seeked my advice because of anovulation. Further exploration of their histories did reveal occasional complaints of chest pain and findings of elevated cardiac enzymes with no other abnormality. The logical explanation, by most experts in the field, is that these people have hypertrophied cardiac muscle which is well oxygenated most of the times, to a certain exercise threshold which may be different for different people, and anytime that threshold is exceeded, coronary blood flow may not be adequate. There may or may not be permanent myocardial injury. Deaths have been reported in several basketball players with similar findings, who ignored the warnings and continued the game even after they felt the chest pain.

A plausible explanation.But this theory still depends upon possibility of relative ischemia.Although we did CPK-MB on Day 3,it was more than twice the normal.Now there are two possibilities.1).Ongoing ischemia.or 2)It was raised because of initial insult.In case of second possibility,considering the half life,initial rise would have been much higher.It will be very strange to find normal ECG with this high value of CPK-MB.Ongoing ischemia is even more remote chance.

icon Re: Re: Re: young pt. with chest pain.

quote:
majorirfan wrote:
[A plausible explanation.But this theory still depends upon possibility of relative ischemia.Although we did CPK-MB on Day 3,it was more than twice the normal.Now there are two possibilities.1).Ongoing ischemia.or 2)It was raised because of initial insult.In case of second possibility,considering the half life,initial rise would have been much higher.It will be very strange to find normal ECG with this high value of CPK-MB.Ongoing ischemia is even more remote chance.

LOL, strange things do happen when we look at the numbers. The bottom line here is elevated cardiac enzyme secondary to strenous
activity. Whatever the explanation may be, this young man should be advised to refrain from strenous exercise till he is able to discover his own cardiac threshold. Such young people die suddenly on the track.

Log-In

- Lost your password?