PakMediNet - Medical Information Gateway of Pakistan

Discussion Forum For Health Professionals

Post a Message

Lost your password?

Post Icon:

Note: Only Health Care Professionals (Doctors, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) and Members of this forum can add a message or reply to this message. Messages of the Non Health Care Professionals will be deleted without notification.

Topic Review - Newest First (only newest 5 are displayed)

sahara

Re: FCPS 1

There are very limited reviews for pathology fcps part 1. And it's safe to say, almost no past papers available. So here's me sharing my experience. I decided to do combined studies with my close friend who was giving attempt in surgery. We ended our hj in Dec’18, and had planned to take a break of 20 days in January and go for attempt in April.
After much relaxation, we began going through all the sources and jotting down the important books, FB groups, study plans. Here's the list we prepared:
1) Join fcps prep batch 2005-2010 on FB,
2) Buy these books (SK pearls all volumes, tanveer notes, Rabia Ali, first aid 2019, Asim and shoaib for surgery and medicine allied, Chandkins).
3) Study from the following list
Physio: BRS + guyton & najeeb videos for complex topics
Antomy: snell review+netters atlas for reference, neuroanatomy: aftab merchant + najeeb videos for neurophysio, embryo: first aid, langman for reference, histo: skpearls
Microbio & Immunology: first aid
Patho: pathoma and videos, first aid esp for special patho, BRS and goljan patho for reference
Biochem: first aid
Pharma: general from Lippincott + first aid for systemic
Biostats+ ethics: first aid
4) Ideal plan would have been to do rabia ali handy points and questions each time we complete a topic, (this is VERY VERY helpful as you get the hang of solving questions and also get to know most repeated questions from every topic, cpsp answer key for controversial questions. Keep errata by your side each time solving questions)
5) Devote last 1 month exclusively for solving pastpapers either medicine or surgery as pathology is not availabale, go through all the sessions and try memorizing points from tanveers notes. Learn all the handy points of Sk pearls.

Coming to the reality of it we weren’t able to keep up , we also realized we had spent a lot of money on buying books when really sk pearls all volumes, rabia ali and tanveers notes could have suffice. We did physio the longest (we gave sincere effort in understanding concepts) but we couldn’t remember most of it afterwards. Last 23 days were really crammed up, we could have done rabia ali simultaneously, doing everything in the end was a bad decision, we only managed to complete 1,2,3 and 12 sessions of tanveer notes and that too only one read. We also read sk pearls volume 1 only once. REMEMBER ALL OF THESE STUDY MATERIALS REQUIRE REPEATED REVISIONS, ONE READ IS NOT SUFFICIENT!!

I was really nervous regarding the paper pattern of pathology P2.
WHAT CAME IN THE PAPER??? Histology, neoplasia, microbio and immuno, general patho , acid base disorders (a lot of it), repeated questions of ethics, transfusion and blood products related questions, blood disorders, little bit of chemical patho, gen anat, physio and pharma.
Overall I felt my paper2 was better than paper1. But surely I was going to flunk!! I knew I didn’t prepare well, didn’t really do much revision, although I had ample time, didn’t solve a good quantity of pastpapers. A Tip: just doing text books won’t help, you need to do pastpapers a lot, tanveers notes , because eventually you tend to understand the language of questions and also isolate the repeated ones. It was a miracle I passed, only because of prayers and I felt, no matter how little I studied but it was a sincere effort.

sahara

Re: Re: Re: PATHOLOGY FCPS PART 1

There are very limited reviews for pathology fcps part 1. And it's safe to say, almost no past papers available. So here's me sharing my experience. I decided to do combined studies with my close friend who was giving attempt in surgery. We ended our hj in Dec’18, and had planned to take a break of 20 days in January and go for attempt in April.
After much relaxation, we began going through all the sources and jotting down the important books, FB groups, study plans. Here's the list we prepared:
1) Join fcps prep batch 2005-2010 on FB,
2) Buy these books (SK pearls all volumes, tanveer notes, Rabia Ali, first aid 2019, Asim and shoaib for surgery and medicine allied, Chandkins).
3) Study from the following list
Physio: BRS + guyton & najeeb videos for complex topics
Antomy: snell review+netters atlas for reference, neuroanatomy: aftab merchant + najeeb videos for neurophysio, embryo: first aid, langman for reference, histo: skpearls
Microbio & Immunology: first aid
Patho: pathoma and videos, first aid esp for special patho, BRS and goljan patho for reference
Biochem: first aid
Pharma: general from Lippincott + first aid for systemic
Biostats+ ethics: first aid
4) Ideal plan would have been to do rabia ali handy points and questions each time we complete a topic, (this is VERY VERY helpful as you get the hang of solving questions and also get to know most repeated questions from every topic, cpsp answer key for controversial questions. Keep errata by your side each time solving questions)
5) Devote last 1 month exclusively for solving pastpapers either medicine or surgery as pathology is not availabale, go through all the sessions and try memorizing points from tanveers notes. Learn all the handy points of Sk pearls.

Coming to the reality of it we weren’t able to keep up , we also realized we had spent a lot of money on buying books when really sk pearls all volumes, rabia ali and tanveers notes could have suffice. We did physio the longest (we gave sincere effort in understanding concepts) but we couldn’t remember most of it afterwards. Last 23 days were really crammed up, we could have done rabia ali simultaneously, doing everything in the end was a bad decision, we only managed to complete 1,2,3 and 12 sessions of tanveer notes and that too only one read. We also read sk pearls volume 1 only once. REMEMBER ALL OF THESE STUDY MATERIALS REQUIRE REPEATED REVISIONS, ONE READ IS NOT SUFFICIENT!!

I was really nervous regarding the paper pattern of pathology P2.
WHAT CAME IN THE PAPER??? Histology, neoplasia, microbio and immuno, general patho , acid base disorders (a lot of it), repeated questions of ethics, transfusion and blood products related questions, blood disorders, little bit of chemical patho, gen anat, physio and pharma.
Overall I felt my paper2 was better than paper1. But surely I was going to flunk!! I knew I didn’t prepare well, didn’t really do much revision, although I had ample time, didn’t solve a good quantity of pastpapers. A Tip: just doing text books won’t help, you need to do pastpapers a lot, tanveers notes , because eventually you tend to understand the language of questions and also isolate the repeated ones. It was a miracle I passed, only because of prayers and I felt, no matter how little I studied but it was a sincere effort.

Bigbag50pk

Re: female study partnr for fcps1

Hi i need a female study partnr for fcps part 1 so any femle intrsted kindly message me thnks

drmark

Re: FCPS 1

drhabeeb

Re: Re: Re: FCPS 1

I have cleared FCPS 1 in Internal Medicine and I think I have to help my fellows and juniors regarding preparation and books selection.
Following are the books which you must read cover to cover atleast two times.

1. BRS Physiology ( this is a short and very nice book, contains 7 chapters you can read 1 chapter a day easily if you are not doing any job)

2. BRS patho
3. BRS Anatomy
4. Asim and shoaib mcqs book series ( remember this book contains many mistakes in answers.this is the best mcq book available in pakistan for part 1. It has three series, medicine, surgery and gyne obs. Get these books from a friend or you can only get it from azim sons which is in front of DOW University karachi. Speciality of this book from this book 30 to 60 questions come each year)

5. Highyield neuroanatomy
6. Highyield embryology

7. USMLE STEP1 first Aid

8. Chandkian for fcps ( it contains past questions. You must read it.)

Plus also join facebook FCPS 1 Q BANK page.

Only read the above mentioned and your success is gurranteed. Those who pass please pray for my FCPS Part 2

Thanks

Dr habeeb Baloch

[Edited by drhabeeb on 02-10-2013 at 08:33 PM GMT]