Mussarat Haider, Shagufta Noor, Rahila Farhat Ch.
Frequency of Adverse Maternal Outcome with Valvular Heart Disease.
Annals Punjab Med Coll Jan ;12(3):219-22.
Objective: To determine frequency of adverse maternal outcome in women with valvular heart disease. Study design: Cross-sectional study. Sampling technique: Non-probability consecutive sampling. Place & duration: Department of obstetrics & Gynae Allied & DHQ hospital Faisalabad for 1 year from 01-01-2017 to 31-12-2017. Patient & methods: 254 pregnant women with heart disease were included in study. Final diagnosis of valvular heart disease was made by echocardiography. Maternal outcome in term of cardiac failure and arrhythmia measured. Results: out of 254 patients 93(36.6%)were of 20-25 years of age,127(50%)were in 26-30 years age group and remaining 34(13.4%)were more than 30 years of age.123(48.4%)were gravida 1,84(33%)were gravida 2,35(13.8%)gravida 3 and remaining 12(4.8%)were gravida 4 and more.174(68.5%)patients were booked and remaining 80(31.5%)were unbooked.103(40.6%)were diagnosed before pregnancy,15(5.9%)in 1st trimester,101(39.7%)in 2nd trimester and 35(13.8%)in 3rd trimester.133(52.4%)patients were of mitral stenosis,52(20.4%)of mitral stenosis and regurgitation,27(10.6%)of aortic stenosis,21(8.2%)of multivalve disease,13(5.2%)of prosthetic valve and 8(3.2%)of coronary artery disease.193(76%)patients were delivered vaginally,45(17.7%)undergo C-Section and 16(6.3%)induced abortion.10(3.9%)developed heart failure,18(7.1%)arrhythmias,13(5.1%)bleeding and 7(2.7%)patients died. Conclusion: Heart disease in pregnancy is a high-risk condition. Multidisciplinary approach achieves good maternal outcome.
PakMediNet -Pakistan's largest Database of Pakistani Medical Journals - http://www.pakmedinet.com