Aamir Shaukat, Hooria Aamir, Umair Ahmed, Muhammad Umair Jahngir, Uzma Ismail.
Epidemiological Survey of Varicella-Zoster Infection in Faisalabad city v/s various adjoining Areas of Faisalabad in 2017.
Annals Punjab Med Coll May ;12(1):20-3.

Objective: To study the distribution and frequency of Varicella infection and the influence of socioeconomic status or facility of better health care on the outcome of infection in Faisalabad city and its periphery. Study Design: An Epidemiological Survey. Setting: It was carried out at Allied Hospital Faisalabad. Period: Cases presented from Faisalabad city and its peripheral areas, from January to October 2017 were included. Sample Size: Overall 323 patients, irrespective of the time of their presentation since the appearance of varicella rash, were included in this survey. Methodology: Data was analyzed and concluded in Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) version 17. Result: Total of 323 cases was reported all over the district Faisalabad in 2017, out of which 206 (64%) cases were from Faisalabad city and remaining 117 (36%) were from adjoining areas (Tehsil) of Faisalabad. They were then distributed according to the day of their presentation in Teaching Hospital, which reveals that among 44 late presenters only 18 (41%) cases were reported from Faisalabad city while remaining 26 (59%) cases were from peripheral areas (Tehsils) of Faisalabad. Out of 279, those who presented to the hospital early, only 5 (1.8%) cases were expired, as compared to 4 (9.1%) cases among 44 late presenters. Conclusion: Varicella infection is more common in urban areas, which are more densely populated. While the proportion of deaths among infected people is higher among those who dwell in peripheries, away from the better healthcare facilities.

PakMediNet -Pakistan's largest Database of Pakistani Medical Journals - http://www.pakmedinet.com