Muhammad Arif Mahmood, Arshad Qureshi, Ijaz-ul Haque Taseer.
Vitamin D Deficiency in patients presented in Medical OPD with Fibromyalgia.
Annals Punjab Med Coll Jan ;8(2):136-40.
Objectives: To determine the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in patients presented in medical OPD with fibromyalgia/body aches and pains. Study Design: A prospective observational cohort study. Place and Duration of Study: Medical OPD of DHQ teaching hospital Sahiwal from July 2013 to June 2014 Material and Methods: 120 patients 80(66.67%) female and 40(33.33%) male coming to medical OPD of DHQ teaching hospital Sahiwal complaining of body aches and pains and diagnosed as Fibromyalgia according to American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria. Patients were not suffering from systemic illness on examination. The reports of serum calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase, CBC and ESR, were normal. Serum level of 25(OH) vitamin D was estimated by Enzyme Linked Fluorescent assay (ELFA technique) using commercially available kit VIDAS®25(OH) vitamin D total (VITD). Results: Out of 120 patients, 80(66.67%) were female and 40(33.33%) male patients. 56(70%) out of 80 female patients had vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/mL) and 14(17.5%) out of 80 patients had vitamin D insufficiency (21-29 ng/mL). 25(62.5%) out of 40 male patients had vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/mL) and 8(20%) out of 40 male patients had vitamin D insufficiency (21-29 ng/mL). So, out of 120 patients 81(67.5%) had vitamin D deficiency (<20 ng/mL) and 22(18.33%) patients had vitamin D insufficiency (21-29 ng/mL). Total 103(85.83%) out of 120 patients were suffering from vitamin D deficiency/insufficiency (<30 ng/mL). 17 (14.13%) out of 120 patients had sufficient levels of vitamin D (>30 ng/mL). Conclusion: Fortification of food especially milk and ghee should be done with vitamin D to improve vitamin D deficiency state in the people. Government health authorities should ensure this practice for decreasing the bony problems in the community.
PakMediNet -Pakistan's largest Database of Pakistani Medical Journals - http://www.pakmedinet.com